[okfn-discuss] Contacts management services?

James Casbon james.casbon at okfn.org
Wed Dec 2 21:03:53 UTC 2009

2009/12/2 Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>:
> I was wondering whether anyone had any suggestions for (preferably
> free/open source) web services for contact management. Would this be
> CiviCRM? Main thing I want to be able to do is to manage lists of
> contacts by different themes (e.g. by country, by area of expertise,
> etc.) - and to be able to take dated notes (about last contact).
>
> James: if you think CiviCRM fits the bill, any chance we could work
> together to get a test instance up and running?

CiviCRM could do it, but the original reason it was interesting was
for tracking supporters and donations.  There are some others:
dual licensed :
  http://www.sugarcrm.com/crm/
not free:
  http://highrisehq.com/
  http://www.salesforce.com/uk/

Still haven't used Civi so I can't vouch for it in any way.  I'm happy
to up the priority on installing it if you think it is appropriate
(there is a trac ticket for this).  Have you tried the demo?

When I lasted looked, Civi seemed like the only credible free CRM for
non profits, but some of the paid ones may help you out for free.

James