[okfn-discuss] PSI click to CC-BY-SA compatibility

Luis Villa luis.villa at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:15:41 UTC 2009

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM, Rufus Pollock<rufus.pollock at okfn.org> wrote:
> 2009/7/2 Joseph Seddon <joseph.seddon at wikimedia.org.uk>:
>> Heya guys,
>>
>> This is my first post to the list :) Hope we can have some great successes
>> with WMUK and OKFN working together :)
>>
>> I wanted to ask whether UK PSI click use content is compatible and easily
>> convertible to a CC-BY-SA license.
>
> My basic feeling is: yes. See:
>
> <http://www.opendefinition.org/licenses/ukpsi>
>
> The only issue would be a) the fact you must get a click-use license
> (it would be preferable if this were automatic -- and I think they are
> moving that way ...)

That's a big issue; CC (like all licenses meeting the OSI/FSF tests)
grant the right to redistribute subject only to very specific
restrictions (SA, NC, etc.) PSI in contrast, at least from a brief
reading, seems to grant redistribution only in very specific
circumstances, and later-generation parties do not seem to be
authorized to redistribute at all. Particularly 6.3 jumps out at me
("This will normally allow users and subscribers to download the
Material to screen and printer for their own use. It does not
otherwise allow you to authorise the reproduction of the Material".)

Really, I'd question whether PSI belongs on opendefinition.org;
specifically I don't see how it doesn't violate the second plank of
the definition.

But this is just from a very cursory review of the PSI.

(On checking my inbox again: Andy's comment about PSI s.9.4 is, I
believe, correct- this is not just an attribution/notice of
modification requirement like in a variety of open source
requirements, on the plain face of it it is a 'no derivatives'
requirement, more analogous to CC-ND than CC-SA.)

Luis