[okfn-discuss] PSI click to CC-BY-SA compatibility

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Jul 2 17:32:43 UTC 2009

2009/7/2 Joseph Seddon <joseph.seddon at wikimedia.org.uk>:
> A further issues that I though might be a problem is as follows:
>
> It does not otherwise allow you to authorise the reproduction of the
> Material

I assume you mean the sentence in 6.2. I would note that 6.2 begins by
saying the listing there is non-exhaustive ("includes the ...").

I would also emphasizethat this license is definitely *intended* to
permit reuse -- for example national statistics use it and most of the
uses of those statistics is going to be reuse. That said, as I stated,
and as emphasized by Andy section 9.6 could be an issue. The exact
implications of this section are slightly unclear, though I presume
them to be about trying to stop people using material to pretend to
have endorsement from the government. As such they might fall within
the ambit of the "integrity" sections of the CC license section 4a:

<quote>
If You create a Collection, upon notice from any Licensor You must, to
the extent practicable, remove from the Collection any credit as
required by Section 4(c), as requested. If You create an Adaptation,
upon notice from any Licensor You must, to the extent practicable,
remove from the Adaptation any credit as required by Section 4(c), as
requested.
</quote>

> You must not pass your rights under this Licence to anyone else.

This is the issue I mentioned in my first response that subsequent
users have to go and explicitly get their own license (though I have
heard they are looking to fix this).

> Would these clauses also prove issues with CC-BY-SA?

See above.