[okfn-discuss] Ideas for OKCon 2010?

Sören Auer auer at informatik.uni-leipzig.de
Wed Jul 8 14:16:12 UTC 2009

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> This all sounds great! I think we definitely want to aim to organize
> the event around 3-4 streams such as the Technology, Society and
> Culture items as you mentioned.

Perfect! I created a wiki page for drafting the CfP at:
http://wiki.okfn.org/okcon/2010/cfp

> I also think, even with a very open process, it would be good to have
> a formal programme/organizing committee for OKCon this year to set
> deadlines, handle the CFP etc.

Yes, I would separate the programme into:
(a) an *open part*, which can be organized in whatever way (e.g. as
Claudia suggested using the open space metaphor) and
(b) an *research track*, with a formal but very open submission and
reviewing process (this would enable us to also attract attention from
research communities relevant to OCKON), since I think they respond more
to a more formalized submission procedure.

> What do people think (and anyone want to put themselves forward?).

I'm happy to serve in the programme committee of the research track and
even to take the lead here. However, I think it would be important to
have people on board which cover and represent the different pillars -
so please shoot me an email or add yourself to the Wiki page if you are
interested to help publicizing the call in your community, reviewing
papers and arranging the programme.

--Sören