[okfn-discuss] Ideas for OKCon 2010?

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Wed Jul 8 21:00:20 UTC 2009

dear Soren, all,

> Yes, I would separate the programme into:
> (a) an *open part*, which can be organized in whatever way (e.g. as
> Claudia suggested using the open space metaphor) and
> (b) an *research track*, with a formal but very open submission and
> reviewing process (this would enable us to also attract attention from
> research communities relevant to OCKON), since I think they respond more
> to a more formalized submission procedure.

This latter makes a lot of sense to me. This year's FOSS4G conference
will have an
"academic track" for the first time and the community response to that has
been really good; and a lot of those contributors come with in-house
travel expenses.

I would be very happy to jump on a programme committee. I can think of
a couple of
EDINA colleagues working in open access education who would likely be
interested as well.
There are some open source platforms for marshalling contributions that
could reduce the admin load...

cheers,

jo