[okfn-discuss] Our vision: Why, How and What for the Open Knowledge Foundation

Joseph Seddon joseph.seddon at wikimedia.org.uk
Tue Jul 14 23:50:04 UTC 2009

> It'd be interesting to see a list of formal organizations (not just
> informal groupings like you've listed above) that are active in the UK
> and which might OKFN might formally reach out to to see if there is
> interest in working together. OSI has considered (among other things)
> moving in this direction, with open source software foundations like
> Apache, GNOME, etc., becoming 'member organizations' of OSI and each
> having some sort of formal representation in planning, organization,
> etc. Perhaps OKFN could put together a similar 'advisory council' of
> open-knowledge-related groups in the UK (or more broadly).

The two UK based organisations which spring to mind are a Wikimedia UK (a non profit company limited by guarentee, currently seeking charity status) where I am a director, and the second group is iCommons which is a fork from Creative Commons, which is UK charity. There is also the Open Rights Group. I have in passing conversation suggested an Open Knowledge Council for the UK, with people from iCommons and OKFN and the reception seems to have been good. Prehaps taking this forward and making this an active aim would be a good idea and prehaps should start approaching other orgs.

Joseph Seddon
Conferences Director
Wikimedia UK

Email: joseph.seddon at wikimedia.org.uk