[okfn-discuss] Our vision: Why, How and What for the Open Knowledge Foundation

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Jul 15 13:32:11 UTC 2009

[...]

>>   * What do you think it should be doing?
>
> More of the same, but with a clear statement of *why* it is doing it
> and, because people always complain about this for any project, an even
> more transparent organizational structure.

Yes I think this is a priority and something we should work on (this
is also on http://wiki.okfn.org/Vision under "How Do We Want To
Operate?").

One thing that I think is particularly important is providing a bit
more structure (and perhaps) formality regarding involvement in the
OKF (we have a clear concept of membership in the governance document
but this hasn't been into formal practice enough yet). However, I
think the organizational structure discussion should probably be a
separate thread ...

[...]

>>   * What impact should it be having?
>
> The practical impact OKF has had is great, it can be extended, and it
> needs more recognition. People should be using OKF's tools and arguments
> when dealing with datasets and open access materials and they should
> *know* that they are doing so.

Right: I think recognition/visibility is something we really want to improve.

One idea I've had is the idea of establishing some kind of formal OKF
affiliated role (perhaps "Fellows") for people to go to events and
groups can go and participate as an OKF "person".