[okfn-discuss] Eurostat licensing?

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Jun 3 17:21:59 UTC 2009

Hi all,

Andreas Harth currently has an RDF version of Eurostat at:

  http://ontologycentral.com/2009/01/eurostat/

He does not host the whole thing, but states: "Unfortunately we cannot
provide access to the full dataset due to limited storage and
bandwidth resources. If you are interested in the full dataset and
able to sponsor our effort please contact us."

I understand Talis would consider hosting the data if it was fully
open. There is mention of some commercial restrictions at:

  http://ckan.net/package/read/eurostat

On the new Eurostat site, there is a link to the general EC legal
notice (http://ec.europa.eu/geninfo/legal_notices_en.htm) which
states: "Reproduction is authorised, provided the source is
acknowledged, save where otherwise stated. Where prior permission must
be obtained for the reproduction or use of textual and multimedia
information (sound, images, software, etc.), such permission shall
cancel the above-mentioned general permission and shall clearly
indicate any restrictions on use."

There is also: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/about_eurostat/corporate/copyright_licence_policy

Which re-iterates that material may be used for any purpose
(commercial or noncommercial) as long as source is attributed - unless
otherwise stated.

Hence I understand that the bulk of Eurostat data is OKD compliant,
effectively under an attribution license?

--
Jonathan Gray

Community Coordinator
The Open Knowledge Foundation