[okfn-discuss] Crown Commons?

Ade adewunmi kingzcid3 at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 11 17:21:32 UTC 2009

Hmmmm. Haven't heard this exact terminology used before (i.e. 'Crown Commons' licenses). This isn't related to the recent announcement by Tom Watson MP of the government's inetention overhaul the crown copyright rules, is it? Here's an exceprt from his recent speech (at the NESTA / UNESCO Public Service Media 2009 Conference) on this.

"The Office of Public Sector Information (OPSI) has looked again at the restrictions of Crown Copyright, and now a licence will automatically be granted to anyone wanting to use the information rather than having to apply beforehand.

“This will makes things easier for the kind of innovative individuals who entered Show Us a Better Way to access the data they need to create brilliant new applications.

“OPSI has also shown how Government can publish in a 'web-friendly' way rather than just as PDFs, and I want to see this approach rolled out across Government."

More at: http://www.localgov.co.uk/index.cfm?method=news.detail&ID=78308&&keywords=crown%20copyright

Hope this is of use.

Regards,

Ade