[okfn-discuss] Crown Commons?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Jun 11 17:00:32 UTC 2009

2009/6/11 Andy Kaplan-Myrth <andy at kaplan-myrth.ca>:
> Reading the Cabinet Office blog post on Berners-Lee helping the UK
> with open information, I note that it mentions developing "'Crown
> Commons' licenses".

Have to say I'm not entirely sure here. The UK already has a pretty
good and "open" click-use license for crown copyright material:

<http://www.opendefinition.org/licenses/ukpsi>

This is increasingly widely used and, for example, for all the
national statistics material.

> Does anybody know any more details about that, and whether there has
> been any work done on that in the UK already? It's an area of interest
> to us in Canada. Last month the Canadian House of Commons procedures
> committee created a limited licence on "the proceedings of the House
> of Commons and its Committees"[1] and we hope it will be a starting
> point to build a Crown Commons type of licence here
>   [1] http://bit.ly/crowncommonscanada
>
> Any insight into the status of that initiative in the UK or elsewhere
> would be welcome!

My guess is that the click-use license just mentioned is what you are
looking for, though not being very cognizant of the Canadian situation
I may be wrong. I'd therefore be very interested to hear your feedback
once you'd taken a look at the license itself.