[okfn-discuss] Where Does My Money Go: what should we work on first?

Hjalmar Gislason hjalli at hjalli.com
Fri Jun 19 10:10:13 UTC 2009

> Fantastic! This starts to make me think that it might interesting to
> do something pan-european ...

Absolutely. Very interesting.

> ...without understanding a thing :)
>
> Do you have any English material about this (and is the data you used
> openly available?)  We'd love to blog about this.

I should and I will. I'm also trying to get the budget in English. I
understand that while it's not available online, it does exist at the
Ministry of Finance. When I get it, I'll make the English version available
on our web site.

I think we probably want to separate this kind of work into 2 stages:

>  1. Getting the data
>  2. Presenting it

Absolutely. If you make any progress on #1, it shouldn't take me long to fit
it into the app we have as a test.

> We have many ideas on how to do this better and develop this further, and
> > I'd be happy to share those and even collaborate on the prototyping with
> UK
> > data if you'd like.
>
> It would be great to collaborate and it might be interesting to do a
> contrast and compare between Iceland and the UK -- especially in the
> current climate.

Certainly. I wonder to what degree EU/EEC countries are required to report
to Brussels in a standardized format. It might not be too detailed, but it
would make for a nice pan-European comparison.

Best,
Hjalmar Gislason
Founder, DataMarket
www.datamarket.net