[okfn-discuss] Governance and structure of the Open Knowledge Foundation and its activities

William L. Anderson band at acm.org
Wed Nov 18 16:58:42 UTC 2009

One suggestion below.

Rufus Pollock wrote:
> I know many people find goverance/structure stuff a bit dull but
> please don't be put off -- this is important stuff if you're
> interested in the OKF and its activities!
>
> The OKF has had a governance document from the inception:
> <http://www.okfn.org/goverance/>
>
> However, due to our small size much of what has been in there has been
> implemented informally rather than formally. It is now time be a bit
> more formal in how we organize the community. Not only is this
> important in itself but it should also provide greater clarity as to
> what is going on, who is involved etc.
>
> The proposed setup is as follows:
>
> 1. There are "Network Members" of the OKF. Anyone may become a network
> member but membership must be approved by the Projects Committee (see
> next item). In general, Network Members are expected to be actively
> involved in one or more projects or working groups.
>
> 2. There is a Projects Committee which is elected by Network Members
> from among the Network Members on an annual basis. It deals with all
> project and working group related matters including incubating,
> approving, retiring project and working groups, monitoring their
> progress, etc.
>
> 3. The Project Committee has regular monthly meetings via irc, e.g. on
> the second Tuesday of every month.
>
> 4. To bootstrap this process the Board will appoint an initial set of
> Network Members and a Projects Committee. All current working group
> and project members will be automatically be invited to become network
> members.

It's a good idea for the Board membership to have term limits. In addition, the Board needs a
bit of community memory. One way to achieve this is to replace only a fraction of the members at
each election. For example, with a three-person Board: if terms are two years; then replacements
alternate between one member one year and two members the next, then one member the next, and so
on. I think the following will start this up correctly:

Year 0: A, B, and C are appointed (A,B,C).
Year 1, A is replaced with D (D,B,C).
Year 2, B and C are replaced with E and F (D,E,F).
Year 3, D is replaced with G (G,E,F), and so on.

If three members and three year terms then each year replaces one board member. Start up:

Year 0: (A,B,C)
Year 1: replace A with D (D,B,C)
Year 2: replace B with E (D,E,C)
Year 3: replace C with F (D,E,F)
Year 4: replace D with G (G,E,F), and so on.

Regards,

Bill Anderson