[okfn-discuss] Governance and structure of the Open Knowledge Foundation and its activities

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Nov 18 18:31:35 UTC 2009

2009/11/18 William L. Anderson <band at acm.org>:
> One suggestion below.
>
> Rufus Pollock wrote:
>> I know many people find goverance/structure stuff a bit dull but
>> please don't be put off -- this is important stuff if you're
>> interested in the OKF and its activities!
[...]
> It's a good idea for the Board membership to have term limits. In addition, the Board needs a
> bit of community memory. One way to achieve this is to replace only a fraction of the members at
> each election. For example, with a three-person Board: if terms are two years; then replacements
> alternate between one member one year and two members the next, then one member the next, and so
> on. I think the following will start this up correctly:

Thanks William, I think this is a really sensible suggestion and
something along these lines can be implemented both for the Board and
for the Projects Committee.

In terms of the details I think the easiest would be if the number of
members divided by, say, 3 then you could have a standard 3 year term
with a 1/3 of the members leaving each year.