[okfn-discuss] Governance and structure of the Open Knowledge Foundation and its activities

Ed Pastore epastore at metagovernment.org
Wed Nov 18 19:02:19 UTC 2009

If you would be interested in taking the open philosophy to this
aspect of the organization, you may wish to consider enabling aspects
of open governance / collaborative governance.

In other words: why restrict decision-making to a small group of
people? In a group which promotes openness, the governance structure
need not be an exception.

The member projects of the Metagovernment project are each building
different software structures which can act as tools for governance,
ranging from helping in the decision-making process (such as
Vilfredo), to allowing outside input into policymakers' decisions
(such as DemocracyLab), to allowing for cascading representation (such
as Votorola), to opening up all decisions to the entire community
(such as most of the other projects in the Metagovernment project):
http://metagovernment.org/wiki/Active_projects

Small/new non-profits are one of our core target audiences at the
moment, as we figure they are a much better testing ground than, say,
major national governments. But the end-goal is to allow much, much
broader participation by everyone in any decision they wish to be
involved in.

If you would like to consider adopting one of our platforms, I would
recommend joining our list server and asking which would be most
appropriate for your needs.

Thanks for your consideration,

Ed Pastore
http://metagovernment.org/wiki/User:Ed_Pastore

P.S. Link in below e-mail was malformed. Should be:
http://www.okfn.org/governance/