[okfn-discuss] urls as contracts in CKAN

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Nov 20 20:34:40 UTC 2009

2009/11/20 James Casbon <casbon at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I was chatting to someone in the http://www.intermine.org/ team.
>
> They generate what are essentially views on their database which are
> assigned unique urls (called templates in intermine terminology).
> They want to know if another service is using this url, so that it can
> become a 'contract' between two services.
>
> Should I encourage them to register these 'contract' URLs in CKAN?

I don't see why not though it would be good to have a bit clearer idea
of what exactly these urls will represent, how persistent they are and
how many of them get generated.

It seems to me that the desire to 'cache' a given query (and perhaps
even to considerit as a dataset in itself) is an interesting one and
likely to become ever more frequent as we have larger single stores of
data. Just a few weeks ago I had a conversation with Tony Hirst where
he was suggesting something similar to this for complex SPARQL queries