[okfn-discuss] Fwd: Lessig, Zuckermann et al. on transparency

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Oct 13 19:50:47 UTC 2009

I thought this thread might be interesting to list members!

The main argument from Lessig, it seems to me, is that transparency in
itself is not unconditionally a good thing (of course!). The crux of
the argument is that while the transparency lobby may focus on the
corrupting influence of money (which confirms the public's suspicion
that political decisions follow money, and can do more harm than good)
- we should spend more time reforming our public institutions, e.g.
push for publicly funded elections.

  http://www.tnr.com/print/article/books-and-arts/against-transparency

Jonathan