[okfn-discuss] [open-development] Factual - wikipedia for data

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Tue Oct 13 23:49:08 UTC 2009

Wow! From their Terms of Service page
(http://www.factual.com/others/tos) it looks like all their data is
(effectively) open:

"Data. Raw data, facts, and general ideas are not protected by
copyright law. You acknowledge that Factual may host, serve,
reproduce, distribute, and allow the modification of data uploaded and
made publicly available in connection with the Site or Services, and
that other Factual users may reproduce, distribute, modify,
manipulate, or build upon such data. Likewise, you may reproduce,
distribute, modify, and manipulate or build upon data publicly
available on Factual, subject to all conditions and disclaimers in
these Terms of Use. In some cases, the use of certain data may be
subject to a third-party agreement; it is your responsibility to honor
such agreements including, where applicable, to make others aware of
any agreements conditioning your or their use, distribution, or
manipulation of such data. Notwithstanding the above, and for the
avoidance of doubt, Factual's Privacy Policy describes how we use and
protect publicly unavailable privacy-related data associated with your
and others users' use of Factual."

Very exciting!

Jonathan