[okfn-discuss] Postcode data petition - unsure.

Mr. Puneet Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Wed Oct 14 15:11:03 UTC 2009

On Oct 14, 2009, at 9:44 AM, Rufus Pollock wrote:

> 2009/10/14 Jo Walsh <jo at frot.org>:
>> dear all,
>>
>> I've seen posted today a petition to provide "non-profit and
>> community
>> websites" with free access to the Royal Mail data - this is in the
>> wake of the statement from planningalerts.com that they are
>> considering withdrawing their service rather than pay licensing fees
>> to the Royal Mail - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7700621.stm
>> - thanks, James.
>>
>> I'm doubtful enough about this not to sign the petition.
>> http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/nfppostcodes/
>>
>> Open access for "non-profits" will create an administration burden,
>> as
>> organisations need to be certified, some may not even be legal
>> entities yet be popular going concerns, proposed usage needs to be
>> evaluated. Lots of time needed from humans here.
>
> I agree: I think if one is aiming to open data up one should be aiming
> for proper "open" data.
>
> Creating a divisions between  not-for-profit/non-commercial from
> everything else is, I think, mistake.

Which is precisely why I believe all the ShareAlike licenses are
misdirected. Business folks and entrepreneurs don't want to lose
control over their IP, and so, are wary of ShareAlike in both software
and data, but especially in data. By forcing the adopter to "my way,"
I restrict interoperability.

I just returned from a 3-day global conference on entrepreneurship and
innovation. I was handing out my "Creative Commons" business cards,
and guess what -- none of them had heard of it. I tend to forget that
the world doesn't really know about these alternative rights
movements, and although it is happy to learn about it, it is a big
world out there. They will be willing to adopt alternative schemes for
licensing provided they don't perceive them as a threat to their
control and freedom.

--
Puneet Kishor http://www.punkish.org
Carbon Model http://carbonmodel.org