[okfn-discuss] Postcode data petition - unsure.

Mr. Puneet Kishor punkish at eidesis.org
Wed Oct 14 16:02:40 UTC 2009

A response to my recent email says (I am not stating the person's name
since the response wasn't copied to the OKFN list)

> Control isn't freedom. Copyleft protects the latter against the
> former. Would-be millionaires deserve no special privilege in this.
> That said, copyleft ensures that they suffer no special disadvantage
> as well.

I simply don't understand this antagonism toward those who seek to
make wealth. "Would-be millionaires" are not despicable, but in my
view, are admirable. I am not one of them, and I don't have the
qualities that would make me one of them, but I do admire them.

Last week I met a guy who graduated from my alma mater, had a great
idea, founded a company, worked 100s of hours a week, built it up,
sold it for $135 million to another company, and is about to resign
from this new company so he can work on new ideas and start new
companies. He also gave back a huge endowment to his (and my) alma
mater to fund a professor chair in operations research. That
professorship will, hopefully, train countless new young students, one
or two of whom might do what this guy did. This guy is 5 years younger
than me, and has touched waaaaay more lives with his entrepreneurship
and intellectual property than I ever will.

Entrepreneurs create wealth, and a lot of folks share in that wealth.

I don't have the streak of entrepreneurship in me, but I do have the
passion to create the conditions in which entrepreneurship can
flourish. I believe public domain data does just that. It levels the
playing field so anyone who can, can become an entrepreneur.

In the context of this conversation, control and freedom are not
antithetical. And, if they were, well, then, forcing others to
ShareAlike would be no different than any other kind of control.

Oh well. I guess ShareAlike believers and Public Domain believers
shall never meet.