[okfn-discuss] Panton Principles and IsItOpen

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Feb 22 17:08:11 UTC 2010

Many thanks to everyone who contributed to the launch(es) of PP and IIO.
Cameron and I presented these at the Science Commons meeting on Saturday
20th feb in Redmond - there were about 70 people there but a lot more
following on Twitter and Chris Pirillo's live video stream.

I got a very strong feeling that Open Data has arrived and I think the Open
Data button is a major tool for dissemination. I have already suggested to
my collaborators at Microsoft that we should create an OpenDataButton
add-in. This could be similar to their CC add-in. Alternatively anyone
writing software (as we have been doing in Chem4Word) should be able to add
an "OpenData" statement to the output. In our case we would expect to have
an "OpenData" button on the MS ribbon which the user could enable or
disable. If enabled then all documents would carry appropriate RDF licence,
links, statement, etc.

I'd be grateful on what this should look like. It should be easy with XML or
HTML as this can be emebedded in a comment as CC does. It's more difficult
for fixed formats such as CSV. It could be very useful indeed for images
where it could appear in the metadata or even as a small part of the image
visible to the reader.

P.

PS. I can't remember how much I showed of IIO - it should be on the video. I
didn't show any crashes - thanks to all who mended/tried_to_mend the system
at short notice. Has the problem been pinned down?

This gives us an immediate

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics