[okfn-discuss] ANN: Uberblic.org - Integrating the Web of Data

Jo Walsh jo at frot.org
Fri Jan 29 17:07:42 UTC 2010

dear all,

On 29/01/2010 16:18, Mr. Puneet Kishor wrote:
>> There is so much open and often linked data available on the web, but
>> there has been a lack of an integration service tying together all that linked
>> data into a more coherent experience.

> This is great, but how is it different from http://ckan.net?
>
> Having a service like this is extremely necessary, but having too many
> services like this, especially ones that overlap, might lead to
> confusion. Clarity of purpose vis a vis existing efforts might be very
> helpful.

Well, that's how the semweb, or Web of Data, or Linked Data Web, is
likely to look in the short term. Lots and lots of aggregation services
collecting different subsets of the universe of triples. Re-aggregating
other sites, moving eyeballs around.

You can see a reflection of this in social network cross-posting and
aggregation services, for example FriendFeed. This was bought by
Facebook, I imagine because it was potentially or actually diverting
traffic away from FB.

An online service like FriendFeed collects your communication streams
from different sites together. A client like Posterous or even Tweetdeck
lets you send messages through to multiple sites. It matters less and
less where the information is made, where it is stored, as long as it
can be discovered.

Yes this leads to a lot of redundancy. We have got used to the
centralised, one-ring-to-rule model for types of online services,
redundancy can be confusing - one never knows exactly where to look, and
everything is slightly deja vu.

Years ago I worked on a prototype online service for a kind of
self-organising, distributed art festival in London. It pulled in RSS
listings from different event sites, correlated that with spatial RDF
from the OpenGuides wiki, FOAF maps of participants...

The event curators loved the *idea*. When they were presented with the
actual prototype, the main response "there are seven versions of this
event here. Which is the real one?"

Puneet, I think we just have to get used to overlap.

jo