[okfn-discuss] Businesses unwilling to share data, but keen on government doing it

Julian Todd julian at goatchurch.org.uk
Fri Jul 2 13:19:50 UTC 2010

Peter,

The whole logic of the way pharma is organized makes closed data and
the associated immense waste absolutely unavoidable.

As you indicate, the allocation of patents (and therefore all the
revenue stream) is often a matter of winner-takes-all sheer luck.
While one company strikes lucky and makes pure profit, another might
invest years of work and never get any compensation.

As I understand it, the purpose of patenting was not to protect the
lucky inventor, it was to protect the investment and large scale
manufacturing of plant.  It's the guaranteed market monopoly against
which you raise the capital to build the factories.

If every patent was automatically put up for auction, rather than
being the sole property of the discoverer (as is the case of oil finds
-- if you find it on your land, it's not yours), these manufacturing
monopolies could more rationally be formed, and the money raised would
easily fund in a predictable way the basic research into new drugs.
And open data would become possible.

Julian.