[okfn-discuss] Guidelines for starting a project with / bringing a project to OKFN?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Jul 9 15:26:45 UTC 2010

On 8 July 2010 11:27,  <jo at frot.org> wrote:
> dear all,
>
> Recently heard a couple of people asking, how can I bring a project to
> the foundation, perhaps it is not clear to me what are the obligations
> and benefits.
>
> http://okfn.org/participate - this page talks a bit about bringing a
> project to the foundation but doesn't provide more context other than,
> join the mailing list.

Indeed. That is more about getting involved as an individual.

> Am i missing something on the wiki. Can it be made more of. There is

No, I don't think so. We did have something in the
http://www.okfn.org/governance/ doc but no longer seems to have much
that is relevant to initiating a project.

> this new "projects committee" being set up with representatives from all
> the existing OKFN projects - like the incubation committee of an
> ASF-style open source software foundation. I suppose there ought to be
> some overview and mentorship for new projects within this group...
> "project group" maybe sounds better.

This all sounds just right. I'll send through a discussion proposal
asap on how this procedure could work.