[okfn-discuss] Proposal for OpenThesis Project

Graham Higgins gjh at bel-epa.com
Mon Jul 12 03:43:02 UTC 2010

On 12 Jul 2010, at 02:28, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:

> So, apart from the name clash (which is unfortunate and we may need
> to think about) there isn't much in common unless you know diferently

Probably a wise move to consider a name change, "Openthesis" seems to
have picked up some negative associations already.

Openthesis.org is discussed in the latter half of this blog post from
February:

http://scienceblogs.com/bookoftrogool/2010/02/academic_samizdat.php

The post references a "dustup" on EDT-L list about an apparent
harvesting of thesis metadata and associated content, the referenced
discussion carries a pointer to this abstract of James Ryley's summary
of the Openthesis rationale:

http://conferences.library.pitt.edu/ocs/viewabstract.php?id=759&cf=7

And this from searching for "Patents Online, LCC James Ryley":

"This site was started by a former patent searcher, James Ryley, who
was not happy with the service or prices available from other patent
data providers. James happened to have a background in web programming
and web design, so he decided to solve the problem himself by building
a better patent searching site. So, this site started out as a labor
of love, and something James felt would be valuable to the community.
Initially the site was completely built and financed by James. But, as
the site has grown numerous people have become involved in various
aspects of the site, and we are currently investigating business
models that will allow the site (or at least the vast majority of the
site) to remain free while defraying our development, hosting, and
hardware expenses."

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/help/topic/Who-runs-this-site-and-why.html

- --
Cheers,