[okfn-discuss] Proposal for OpenThesis Project

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Jul 13 12:43:28 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 12:28 PM, Daniel Mietchen <
daniel.mietchen at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I tried to follow PeterM's suggestion to start by reworking PeterS'
> text, but handling a document of this size is not convenient in an
> Etherpad.

Agreed.

> As an alternative option, I created http://wiki.okfn.org/OpenETD and
> filled in some of the basic information. I do not find MoinMoin very
> convenient either, but at least it has a table of content to
> facilitate navigation. My personal preference for developing the text
> would be a Wikiversity page.

I'll go along with what others suggest

> Any other opinions on where to start typing?
>
> Daniel
>
> I have looked though the "OpenThesis.org" sites and it looks rather like an
attempt to grab everything Open (I may be unfair, but any organisation which
does both theses and patents is spreading itself very widely). I wouldn't
want to infringe trademarks (my guess is that they will have done this for
OpenThesis) so I'd ask for another name. Examples might be:
* OKThesis or OpenKnowledgeThesis
* Open Theses and Dissertations (OTD) - but then we have to do dissertations
and this could be stretching it.

I don't want to pre-empt the decision-making of the OK governance (and if I
am too pushy let me know) but I'm suggesting that we build the
infrastructure and populate this as it will give people an idea of what we
are proposing.

I have informally bounced the idea of Open Thesis around at the Microsoft
summit I'm at (where there is a lot of interest in Open) and I'm getting
positive feedback. Later this month I'll be highlighting the OKF at the Open
Science Summit in Berkeley and can also perhaps highlight OKThesis at Scifoo

I don't like to separate A+H and science, but there I am sure that science
is technicallly and politically the easiest place to look for ways of
populating

I get the feeling that it's becoming increasingly important to do something
in this area. I will publicly commit on this list to doing my share. I'd
like to take the wider idea to potential allies (possibly funders) and a
compelling case on OK pages would be very valuable.

P.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics