[okfn-discuss] Wikidata

Chris Watkins chriswaterguy at appropedia.org
Tue Nov 30 17:04:36 UTC 2010

From
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2010-11-29/News_and_notes

   - *Wikidata*: On the Foundation-l mailing list, the Foundation's Deputy
   Director Erik Möller mentioned plans for a "Wikidata
Commons"<http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/wiki/foundation/216574#216574>,
   a central repository of structured data for all Wikimedia projects, with
   similarities to existing projects, such as the Semantic
MediaWiki<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki>-based
   "Shortipedia <http://shortipedia.org/index.php/Main_Page>" and
Freebase<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freebase_%28database%29>.
   Back in 2004, Möller had already proposed the
Wikidata<http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikidata>project. (See also
recent
   *Signpost* coverage of related proposals: "A centralised 'data
wiki'<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Wikipedia_Signpost/2010-08-09/Technology_report#A_centralised_.22data_wiki.22>".)
   Möller said that the Foundation's "Data Summit" that has been planned for a
   while (bringing together various people involved in such efforts) had to be
   delayed until next year. Speaking about Wikimedia sites in general, he
   remarked that "we're continuing to fall behind the rest of the web in terms
   of usability."

This could be incredibly valuable, especially if it's accessible by other
sites outside Wikimedia (I'm fairly sure it will be - they're all about open
knowledge), and if it includes data from many government and
intergovernmental sources, e.g. from the World Bank.

--
Chris Watkins

Appropedia.org - Sharing knowledge to build rich, sustainable lives.

blogs.appropedia.org
community.livejournal.com/appropedia
identi.ca/appropedia
twitter.com/appropedia