[okfn-discuss] More on Google Maps

Jo Walsh metazool at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 13:57:14 UTC 2011

See this post by Mikel Maron "we need to stop Google's exploitation of open
communities": http://brainoff.com/weblog/2011/04/11/1635

Important point here that Google are co-opting the methods and language of
open data movement and making the results proprietary.

Given you subscribe to this list, you probably wouldnt dream of using
non-commercial licensed, heavily usage restricted proprietary data or
software in your applications. But with Google Maps that is just what we are
doing.

Arguably OpenStreetmap is the big success story of open data and in many
areas much higher quality...