[okfn-discuss] More on Google Maps

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Fri Apr 22 14:06:58 UTC 2011

On 22 April 2011 14:57, Jo Walsh <metazool at gmail.com> wrote:
> See this post by Mikel Maron "we need to stop Google's exploitation of open
> communities": http://brainoff.com/weblog/2011/04/11/1635
>
> Important point here that Google are co-opting the methods and language of
> open data movement and making the results proprietary.
>
> Given you subscribe to this list, you probably wouldnt dream of using
> non-commercial licensed, heavily usage restricted proprietary data or
> software in your applications. But with Google Maps that is just what we are
> doing.
>
> Arguably OpenStreetmap is the big success story of open data and in many
> areas much higher quality...

I'm very strongly in agreement on all of this.

All I was doing (I coded the stuff!) was putting out a "half-finished"
hack to invite discussion about the Dashboard idea and with a release
early, release often attitude.

If you (or someone else) could help fix the js so we use OpenLayers
and OSM we can have the google map and its proprietary data removed in
no-time ...