[okfn-discuss] "Open Access" publications under CC-NC licences

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Dec 8 08:48:24 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Armbruster, Chris
<Chris.Armbruster at eui.eu>wrote:

> One possibility is to look at publishers - and their business model /
> licensing. Yet, paid open access (open access publishing - OAP) very much
> relies on funders and institutions paying article processing charges (APC).
> Hence, the funders should be the ones that make CC-BY a condition of paying
> APC. Principally, they should have an intrinsic interest to do so, because
> CC-BY is the right license for science as well as the knowledge economy.

Many thanks Chris. It'svery useful to have such a clear statement

> What we would need is a list of funders/institutions with OA policies -
> and a clarification whether they require CC-BY or not. There is something
> like the SPARC Europe Seal for Journals
> http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=loadTempl&templ=080423 - as a model for a
> seal/list. Again, the seal is applied to journals instead of funders. I
> think this a strategic mistake. The journals will follow the funders, if
> the APC are linked to CC-BY.
>
> I think this list is really important. I think the OKFN can muster enough
people to do a rapid summary (probably 90% of the publishing volume,
omitting long tail).

> Just now, I have not got the time to help with this, but I can point to
> some work on OA policy implementation that I completed. Maybe this can help
> someone to get started:
>
> Absolutely. I think what we need is a simple table with the key headings
and we could do this very quickly on this list and with a Googledoc. I hope
you would have time to comment.

> Armbruster, Chris, Implementing Open Access: Policy Case Studies (October
> 14, 2010). Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1685855
>
> Armbruster, Chris, Open Access Policy Implementation: First Results
> Compared (September 15, 2011). Learned Publishing, Vol. 24, No. 3, 2011.
> Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1927775
>
> Armbruster, Chris, Implementing Open Access Policy: First Case Studies
> (September 15, 2011). Chinese Journal of Library and Information Science,
> Vol. 3, No. 4, pp.1-22, 2010. Available at SSRN:
> http://ssrn.com/abstract=1927772
>
> Armbruster, Chris, Cyberscience and the Knowledge-Based Economy, Open
> Access and Trade Publishing: From Contradiction to Compatibility with
> Nonexclusive Copyright Licensing. International Journal of Communications
> Law and Policy, No. 12, 2008; Policy Futures in Education, Vol. 6, No. 4,
> 2008. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=938119
>
> Obviously we must compile a list of articles such as yours and also any
key blog posts so if you have a wider bibliography this would be very
useful.

Best wishes,