[okfn-discuss] "Open Access" publications under CC-NC licences

Armbruster, Chris Chris.Armbruster at EUI.eu
Thu Dec 8 08:52:37 UTC 2011

I am available for input and comment. Peter and I serve on the Advisory Board of ukPMC, which is backed by 18 funders (14 UK and 4 EU, I think). I might be a good idea to work with these funders first to see if they will all publicly endorse CC-BY as the new standard: http://ukpmc.ac.uk/Funders/

Another important target is eLife, the new journal by HHMI, Wellcome and MPS: http://www.hhmi.org/news/elife20111107.html
Not the journal should be targeted, but the funders. They can make CC-BY the new gold standard.

Chris
From: okfn-discuss-bounces at lists.okfn.org [okfn-discuss-bounces at lists.okfn.org] On Behalf Of Peter Murray-Rust [pm286 at cam.ac.uk]
Sent: 08 December 2011 09:48
To: Open Knowledge Foundation discussion list
Subject: Re: [okfn-discuss] "Open Access" publications under CC-NC licences

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Armbruster, Chris <Chris.Armbruster at eui.eu<mailto:Chris.Armbruster at eui.eu>> wrote:
One possibility is to look at publishers - and their business model / licensing. Yet, paid open access (open access publishing - OAP) very much relies on funders and institutions paying article processing charges (APC). Hence, the funders should be the ones that make CC-BY a condition of paying APC. Principally, they should have an intrinsic interest to do so, because CC-BY is the right license for science as well as the knowledge economy.

Many thanks Chris. It'svery useful to have such a clear statement

What we would need is a list of funders/institutions with OA policies - and a clarification whether they require CC-BY or not. There is something like the SPARC Europe Seal for Journals http://www.doaj.org/doaj?func=loadTempl&templ=080423 - as a model for a seal/list. Again, the seal is applied to journals instead of funders. I think this a strategic mistake. The journals will follow the funders, if the APC are linked to CC-BY.

I think this list is really important. I think the OKFN can muster enough people to do a rapid summary (probably 90% of the publishing volume, omitting long tail).

Just now, I have not got the time to help with this, but I can point to some work on OA policy implementation that I completed. Maybe this can help someone to get started:

Absolutely. I think what we need is a simple table with the key headings and we could do this very quickly on this list and with a Googledoc. I hope you would have time to comment.

Armbruster, Chris, Implementing Open Access: Policy Case Studies (October 14, 2010). Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1685855

Armbruster, Chris, Open Access Policy Implementation: First Results Compared (September 15, 2011). Learned Publishing, Vol. 24, No. 3, 2011. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1927775

Armbruster, Chris, Implementing Open Access Policy: First Case Studies (September 15, 2011). Chinese Journal of Library and Information Science, Vol. 3, No. 4, pp.1-22, 2010. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=1927772

Armbruster, Chris, Cyberscience and the Knowledge-Based Economy, Open Access and Trade Publishing: From Contradiction to Compatibility with Nonexclusive Copyright Licensing. International Journal of Communications Law and Policy, No. 12, 2008; Policy Futures in Education, Vol. 6, No. 4, 2008. Available at SSRN: http://ssrn.com/abstract=938119

Obviously we must compile a list of articles such as yours and also any key blog posts so if you have a wider bibliography this would be very useful.

Best wishes,

Chris