[okfn-discuss] OKCon 2011: Drafts for CFP & announce

koltzenburg at w4w.net koltzenburg at w4w.net
Mon Feb 7 10:23:12 UTC 2011

Hi Daniel, hi all

Daniel said:
> I also agree with making it very clear that OKCon is not a pure academic conference.

agreed, this is exactly why I phrased the "Commons research" part in less abstract terms :-) fine with me to say "incentives for sharing", but for the basics in this topic, I still prefer to a. put the issues question-like and b. say, e.g., "what drives sharing". I have de-deleted this part of the topic because this is where critcism of capitalism becomes most visible, and I certainly want this criticism to to be visible at OKCon 2011.

  * Incentives for sharing <<< important

  *  Types of knowledge suitable for digitization, collaboration and sharing<<< unclear if criteria must apply lump-sum or may apply alternatively  -- NB: the idea initially included knowledge types like care, respect, tolerance, open-mindedness that I would consider non-digitizable - yet much can be learned from the forms of "governance" generally applied in these spheres of knowledge myintervention aims to make explicit an implicit limitation in opendefinition: "Open Definition provides criteria for openness in relation to data, content, and software services." and also in the Open Knowledge Definition (OKD) -beware of reducing "knowledge" to 'digitizable knowledge' only - too limited and certainly not suitable to help bridge the digital gaps, either...

  * Governance of the knowledge commons  >>> I think this topic is very important, but it is a bit disconnected to the other section, no? <<<- let us make links and build bridges, then

  * How groups of people across the globe may do it differently and for which reasons they share their knowledge (for kinds of knowledge see thetracks)

  * How diffferent cultures of sharing can enhance each other in Technology, Law, Society and Democracy, Culture and Education, and in Science and Research

> I am not sure about the idea of separating the academic part from the other activities completely. I think exactly the interdisciplinary and hybrid character of some of the formats could be really attractive. I really would like to hear others people opinions on this.

agree, but make sure you ask *non-academics* if they are put off by seeing too much in our programme that is too abstract or has too much of an "academic" touch and feel.

thanks & cheers,
Claudia

On Sun, 6 Feb 2011 17:18:32 +0100, Daniel Dietrich wrote
> Dear Mayo, Sebastian, Rufus,
>
> thank you all your your input.
>
> I agree with Mayo that the order of topics presented needs to be reorganised and shaped. I also agree with making it very clear that OKCon is not a pure academic conference.
>
> I agree with Sebastian that it's a good idea to make a bunch of formats and side events possible, such as: a track of special session topics, lightning talks, hands on workshops, open space, a exposition space for projects, a open design and fablab work area, a hackathon or two..
>
> I am not sure about the idea of separating the academic part from the other activities completely. I think exactly the interdisciplinary and hybrid character of some of the formats could be really attractive. I really would like to hear others people opinions on this.
>
> I will work on the cfp tomorrow with Sebastian.
>
> Regards
> Daniel
>
> --
> Daniel Dietrich
>
> The Open Knowledge Foundation
> www.okfn.org  -  blog.okfn.org
>
> On 06.02.2011, at 15:29, Fuster, Mayo wrote:
>
> > Hi!
> >
> > Thanks Daniel for the draft.
> >
> > I also added my input. My main point is that the set of topics for me are all important, interesting and conform a rich diversity. They seems good enough as they are in their goal to inspire contributions. However, I have also to say that to me it is a bit unclear which is their order, that is the grouing of the topics. Do they refer to sectors (open data in academic research, in education, in goverment) or do they refer to layers of the complexity which make possible the open data in most sector (legal layer, technical layer, governance layer)?. They seem to be a "dancing" mix of both. But perhaps from this distintion can be reorganise a bit more the set of issues to add more clarity. But again, they are alse good as they are for now to me, when defining the program perhaps a more elaborated scheme to put all the input together would be more needed.
> >
> > Thanks again! Cheers! Mayo
> >
> > «·´`·.(*·.¸(`·.¸ ¸.·´)¸.·*).·´`·»
> > «·´`·.(¸.·´(¸.·* *·.¸)`·.¸).·´`·»
> >
> > Research Digital Commons Governance: http://www.onlinecreation.info
> >
> > Ph.D European University Institute
> > Postdoctoral Researcher. Institute of Govern and Public Policies. Autonomous University of Barcelona.
> > Visiting scholar. Internet Interdisciplinary Institute. Open University of Catalonia (UOC).
> > Visiting researcher (2008). School of information. University of California, Berkeley.
> >
> > Phone Italy: 0039-3312805010 or 0039-0558409982
> > Phone Spanish State: 0034-648877748
> > E-mail: mayo.fuster at eui.eu
> > Skype: mayoneti
> > Postal address: EUI - Badia Fiesolana
> > Via dei Roccettini 9, I-50014 San Domenico di Fiesole (FI) - Italy

thanks & cheers,
Claudia

Best regards,
Claudia Koltzenburg
~~~
C. Koltzenburg, Managing editor
Cellular Therapy and Transplantation, http://www.ctt-journal.com

University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf, Germany
Mobile: +4917649826236
<managingeditor at ctt-journal.com>
http://www.koltzenburg.net/aiki/CalenDar
~~~