[okfn-discuss] Aaron Swartz - should OKFN take a position?

William Waites ww at styx.org
Tue Jul 26 09:56:08 UTC 2011

* [2011-07-26 10:19:07 +0100] Jason Kitcat <jason.kitcat at okfn.org> écrit:

> However OKFN are not a political lobbying organisation and so we
> will not be taking a position on this specific case.

Jason. First of all I agree with Tim that the Schwartz business is not
for OKF to endorse because it turns on his misuse of MIT's network
rather than the openness of things. I would support a statement that
said basically this.

However, OKFN *is* a lobbying organisation. It lobbies and militates
for open stuff, including using all sorts of tactics to convince
politicians that these are good things to do. That's not the only
thing that OKFN does, but lobbying and advocacy is a big part.

And I don't know where you come by the authority to make the statement
that "OKFN will not be taking a position on this specific
case". Surely this is a matter for the community to discuss and reach
a consensus if there is enough interest in it. I don't see that this
sort of decision can be dictated by one of OKF's project managers.

-w
--
William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>
http://river.styx.org/ww/        <sip:ww at styx.org>