[okfn-discuss] Aaron Swartz - should OKFN take a position?

Jason Kitcat jason.kitcat at okfn.org
Tue Jul 26 10:34:55 UTC 2011

Dear WIll

On 26 Jul 2011, at 10:56, William Waites wrote:
> * [2011-07-26 10:19:07 +0100] Jason Kitcat <jason.kitcat at okfn.org> écrit:
>
>> However OKFN are not a political lobbying organisation and so we
>> will not be taking a position on this specific case.
>
> Jason. First of all I agree with Tim that the Schwartz business is not
> for OKF to endorse because it turns on his misuse of MIT's network
> rather than the openness of things. I would support a statement that
> said basically this.

I'm not clear what you're saying here. Tim asked for there to be an OKFN statement of support for Aaron Swartz - your message seems to imply being both for and against that...?

> However, OKFN *is* a lobbying organisation. It lobbies and militates
> for open stuff, including using all sorts of tactics to convince
> politicians that these are good things to do. That's not the only
> thing that OKFN does, but lobbying and advocacy is a big part.

I think the term "lobbying" implies political activism which we don't do and shouldn't. However you are right that we campaign and advocate and definitely must keep doing that.

> And I don't know where you come by the authority to make the statement
> that "OKFN will not be taking a position on this specific
> case". Surely this is a matter for the community to discuss and reach
> a consensus if there is enough interest in it. I don't see that this
> sort of decision can be dictated by one of OKF's project managers.

I'm sorry you feel that way. However it is the case that people cannot use the OKF's name in statements without authorisation so there is a decision to be made there by someone with authority. Due to the specifics of the Swartz case, the OKF's general direction of travel as set by the board (in terms of lobbying or not) and requirements over "political activity" from some of our funders I have decided that OKF should not make a statement in support of Aaron Swartz.

There is nothing stopping you or I issuing statements personally or as signatories of a group statement, but just not with the OKF name on it.

regards,
Jason
--
Jason Kitcat