[okfn-discuss] Aaron Swartz - should OKFN take a position?

William Waites ww at styx.org
Tue Jul 26 10:56:30 UTC 2011

* [2011-07-26 11:34:55 +0100] Jason Kitcat <jason.kitcat at okfn.org> écrit:

> I'm not clear what you're saying here. Tim asked for there to be an
> OKFN statement of support for Aaron Swartz - your message seems to
> imply being both for and against that...?

If I were to make a statement it would say, roughly,

   (1) Aaron Schwartz and indeed any researcher should have free and
   easy access to any scientific publications or other materials that
   they need for their research.

   (2) Abusing the infrastructire is not an acceptable way to secure
   this access and we do not endorse these actions.

> I'm sorry you feel that way. However it is the case that people
> cannot use the OKF's name in statements without authorisation so
> there is a decision to be made there by someone with authority. Due
> to the specifics of the Swartz case, the OKF's general direction of
> travel as set by the board (in terms of lobbying or not) and
> requirements over "political activity" from some of our funders I
> have decided that OKF should not make a statement in support of
> Aaron Swartz.

Sorry, Jason, what exactly is the basis on which you claim authority
to unilaterally make this decision?

-w
--
William Waites                <mailto:ww at styx.org>