[okfn-discuss] WritingCommons.com: Free Online Composition Textbook

Katelin Kaiser kskaiser24 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 15:12:18 UTC 2011

Hello!

I want to share with everyone a *new and free** "commons-based peer
production"* composition textbook called Writing
Commons<http://writingcommons.com/home>.
By this we mean that we hope that crowds of people--from experts such as
professors and professional writers to undergraduate students--can
collaborate with us to revise the pages we've already written as well as
write new pages.

Writing Commons <http://writingcommons.com/> aspires to be a community for
writers, a creative learning space for students in courses that require
college-level writing, a creative, interactive space for teachers to share
resources and pedagogy. Our primary goal is to provide the resources and
community students need to improve their writing, particularly students
enrolled in courses that require college-level writing. At Writing
Commons<http://writingcommons.com/>,
we believe learning materials should be free for all students and
teachers–part of the cultural commons. Hence, we provide free access to an
award-winning, college textbook that was published by a major publisher and
awarded the *Distinguished Book Award *by *Computers and Composition: an
International Journal.

*By working collaboratively, we are hopeful that we can develop a new kind
of writing textbook, a textbook not written by a single author in the
old-school way but by us, by a crowd of people out there who think we need a
new kind of writing text, one that is more interactive, more Web 2.0ish--a
text that can be easily edited to meet your needs, a text that is readily
available on your phone, PDA, or netbook, an expansive textbook that meets
the needs of any college-level writer.

Please check it out, spread the word, and Thank you!