[okfn-discuss] New crowdfunding system in the works exclusively for Free/Libre/Open resources

Bastien bzg at altern.org
Sat Dec 8 11:12:39 UTC 2012

Hi Thomas,

This subject can be really trollish, so consider this my last input
about it :)

Thomas Kluyver <thomas.kluyver at cantab.net> writes:

> Debatable. Most of the time, you do want replies to go to the list.

The damage when sending a private message to a public list is higher
than the damage of sending a public message to a private person.  That's
why the recommended policy by e.g. mailman is to set the reply-to to the
sender.

> Mailing lists set up to reply to the sender regularly annoy me.

Unless you use a really creepy mail client, you can configure it to send
the reply to the sender *and* the list.

In general, my experience is that common sense doesn't help in fixing
mailing lists that use the wrong policy... but I'd expect OKFN to follow
what is common practice in most FLOSS projects I know.

--
 Bastien