[okfn-discuss] New crowdfunding system in the works exclusively for Free/Libre/Open resources

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Sat Dec 8 15:03:41 UTC 2012

John,

I appreciate your concerns and feedback. Yes, the idea is novel and you
might be concerned, but I am confident that we have addressed the issues,
and it is purely a marketing issue. Ok, actually there are details yet to
determine, but they won't impact the basic stability of the idea.
There's nothing to be scared about. Donors choose to put money into the
system overall. The system won't have unlimited access to your bank account
or credit cards. If you don't put enough money in to meet the increased
pledge amount, then your pledge will be marked "unfunded" and that also
means it will reduce everyone else's pledge. You will be failing to uphold
your pledge, but you won't be paying more than you can.
Furthermore, I want to implement some sort of share-split to allow the
minimum pledge to drop down after pledges get up to certain levels.

As to contributor communities, there are already good platforms. We want to
emphasize and encourage creative contribution. That will be a clear element
in the system. I want to write up a formal honor system that requires (just
based on honor) that everyone put in contributions in the best ways they
can.

But, as you say, this is marketing challenge. But I think with little comic
strips, videos, graphs, and concrete examples, the challenge can be met.

This would have been impossible 5 years ago before Kickstarter. There are
tons of precedences that we need to make it clear that this will work, but
we're not just then doing the status quo, we're pushing for a further
ambitious reform of the way people think. It is indeed a leap, but I think
it will be just as easy to accept after it is going as Kickstarter or
Wikipedia are understandable today. Few would have accepted those ideas as
viable originally before they were shown to actually work in reality.

Cheers,
Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf