[okfn-discuss] New crowdfunding system in the works exclusively for Free/Libre/Open resources

Thomas Kluyver thomas.kluyver at cantab.net
Sat Dec 8 16:11:47 UTC 2012

On 8 December 2012 15:03, Aaron Wolf <wolftune at gmail.com> wrote:

> There's nothing to be scared about. Donors choose to put money into the
> system overall. The system won't have unlimited access to your bank account
> or credit cards. If you don't put enough money in to meet the increased
> pledge amount, then your pledge will be marked "unfunded" and that also
> means it will reduce everyone else's pledge. You will be failing to uphold
> your pledge, but you won't be paying more than you can.

I suspect that people see the balance they have in a system like this as
their money, so they'll still be aggrieved if it suddenly gets sucked up by
a project getting a big surge in pledgers. By analogy, I have pay-as-you-go
phone service. I can control the amount I top up, but I would still be
annoyed if I made a 2-minute call and found it my balance £5 lower.

Thomas