[okfn-discuss] History Journal editors on open access

John Levin john at technolalia.org
Tue Dec 11 21:50:29 UTC 2012

Dear all,

I have posted this to the open-humanities list, but I think it will be
of interest to OKFN community as a whole.

Statement on position in relation to open access
http://www.history.ac.uk/news/2012-12-10/statement-position-relation-open-access
from the editors of 21 history journals.

Quote:
"The licence that we will offer for publication in EITHER green OR gold
will be a CCBY NC ND (creative commons non-commercial non-derivative)
licence only; that is, it will not allow commercial reuse, or tweaking
or reuse of parts of an article (text mining). The government has
specified that ‘gold’ access is to be given on a CCBY licence, the most
permissive form of creative commons licence that there is. This however
means that commercial re-use, plagiarism, and republication of an
author’s work will be possible, subject to the author being ‘credited’
(but it is not clear in what way they would be credited). We believe
that this is a serious infringement of intellectual property rights and
we do not want our authors to have to sign away their rights in order to
publish with us."

Horrendous.

John

--