[okfn-discuss] History Journal editors on open access

Michael Bauer michael.bauer at okfn.org
Wed Dec 12 09:56:03 UTC 2012

Hi,

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:50:29PM +0000, John Levin wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Quote:
> "The licence that we will offer for publication in EITHER green OR
> gold will be a CCBY NC ND (creative commons non-commercial
> non-derivative) licence only; that is, it will not allow commercial
> reuse, or tweaking or reuse of parts of an article (text mining).

I can do text mining with only reading - now what?

> The government has specified that ‘gold’ access is to be given on a
> CCBY licence, the most permissive form of creative commons licence
> that there is. This however means that commercial re-use,
> plagiarism, and republication of an author’s work will be possible,
> subject to the author being ‘credited’ (but it is not clear in what

Isn't plagiarism taking someone elses work and claiming it's yours? How is
this "possible" differently than with any other text. CC BY does not allow
claiming it's yours.

> way they would be credited). We believe that this is a serious
> infringement of intellectual property rights and we do not want our
> authors to have to sign away their rights in order to publish with
> us."

Michael

--
Data Wrangler with the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN.org)
GPG/PGP key: http://tentacleriot.eu/mihi.asc