[okfn-discuss] History Journal editors on open access

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Wed Dec 12 11:19:16 UTC 2012

(cc'ing open-access list)

I recently raised this this with the open-access list, in anticipation of
precisely these kinds of criticisms [1]. Might it be worth coming up with a
brief rejoinder addressing some of the main misconceptions? Anyone up for
pitching in?

J.

[1] http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-access/2012-December/000996.html

On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 9:56 AM, Michael Bauer <michael.bauer at okfn.org>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 09:50:29PM +0000, John Levin wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > Quote:
> > "The licence that we will offer for publication in EITHER green OR
> > gold will be a CCBY NC ND (creative commons non-commercial
> > non-derivative) licence only; that is, it will not allow commercial
> > reuse, or tweaking or reuse of parts of an article (text mining).
>
> I can do text mining with only reading - now what?
>
> > The government has specified that ‘gold’ access is to be given on a
> > CCBY licence, the most permissive form of creative commons licence
> > that there is. This however means that commercial re-use,
> > plagiarism, and republication of an author’s work will be possible,
> > subject to the author being ‘credited’ (but it is not clear in what
>
> Isn't plagiarism taking someone elses work and claiming it's yours? How is
> this "possible" differently than with any other text. CC BY does not allow
> claiming it's yours.
>
> > way they would be credited). We believe that this is a serious
> > infringement of intellectual property rights and we do not want our
> > authors to have to sign away their rights in order to publish with
> > us."
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Data Wrangler with the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN.org)
> GPG/PGP key: http://tentacleriot.eu/mihi.asc
> Twitter: @mihi_tr Skype: mihi_tr

Jonathan Gray <http://jonathangray.org/> | @jwyg <http://twitter.com/jwyg>
The Open Knowledge Foundation <http://okfn.org/> |