[okfn-discuss] Creative Commons NonCommercial and NoDerivatives Discussion

Aaron Wolf wolftune at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 20:35:19 UTC 2012

What we need is to be as clear as possible about the facts:

   - BY-SA is adequate to deal with most of the concerns that lead people
   to select NC
   - NC and BY-SA are incompatible, so the main function of NC is to block
   any mixing with content from Wikipedia and all other BY-SA material.
   Really. The meme I want to spread is: "choose NC if you want to make sure
   your work is never combined with anything from Wikipedia."

Furthermore, while not important, there's a terrible tendency for people to
be annoyed about someone making money even when they had no inclination to
make any money themselves. NC is just as likely to block your local bakery
from using your photo in their ad as it is to block some corporation you
don't like. And NC won't stop political groups you dislike.

We have to ask: are people choosing NC for bad reasons? If so, are they
assuming those reasons are valid because the existence of NC seems to be
justification? Why would CC offer NC if there was no good reason to have NC?

So, in the end, we have to isolate the possibly *good* reasons for choosing
NC and try to make sure it isn't chosen for other reasons.

Anyway, given the history, it makes more sense to continue supporting NC
while actively working to clarify these things and discourage its use.

Cheers,

Aaron

--
Aaron Wolf