[okfn-discuss] Creative Commons NonCommercial and NoDerivativesDiscussion

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 18 15:16:16 UTC 2012

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Miller, Andrew (ELS-OXF) <
andrew.miller at elsevier.com> wrote:

> How would a private individual, perhaps without much money, realistically
> ‘go after’ such transgressors?

Exactly this happened to me earlier this year. Springer-Verlag who are an
STM publisher like Elsevier took images I had published as CC-BY, stamped
"Copyright Springer" on them and offered them for sale at 60 USD per image.

I went straight to the web  and blogged this daily - exposing the scope of
Springer's claim to material that they did not own. This included CC-BY
images in Wikipedia. See
http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2012/06/07/springergate-i-try-to-explain-springerimages-and-my-continuing-concern/and
several blog posts previous. Springer retracted over a period of weeks
and got a significant amount of publicity, including in Wikip(m)edia
outlets.

I do not know how seriously Elsevier regard other people's copyright. I
have been to Elsevier presentations where apparently third party copyright
material has been shown, asked whether Elsevier had obtained permission and
am yet to get a reply. If it happens to me I shall make it seriously
public. I shall not divulge my subsequent strategy but I do not believe I
will be powerless.

--
Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics