[okfn-discuss] Creative Commons NonCommercial and NoDerivativesDiscussion

Michael Bauer michael.bauer at okfn.org
Tue Dec 18 21:34:32 UTC 2012

Everyone,

Actually there is a Case in Austria I didn't pursue so far (mainly because
it's not my CC-By-SA content).

I recently bought a Hiking Guide (released with traditional Copyright) It
contains a series of images (actually most) from WikiPedia CC-By-SA. By
consequence the Book must be an open license - it isn't.

I have yet to dig out the images affected and contact the license owners
about this. Anyone want to join in?

Michael

On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 03:16:16PM +0000, Peter Murray-Rust wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM, Miller, Andrew (ELS-OXF) <
> andrew.miller at elsevier.com> wrote:
>
> > How would a private individual, perhaps without much money, realistically
> > ‘go after’ such transgressors?
> >

> Exactly this happened to me earlier this year. Springer-Verlag who are an
> STM publisher like Elsevier took images I had published as CC-BY, stamped
> "Copyright Springer" on them and offered them for sale at 60 USD per image.
>
> I went straight to the web  and blogged this daily - exposing the scope of
> Springer's claim to material that they did not own. This included CC-BY
> images in Wikipedia. See
> http://blogs.ch.cam.ac.uk/pmr/2012/06/07/springergate-i-try-to-explain-springerimages-and-my-continuing-concern/and
> several blog posts previous. Springer retracted over a period of weeks
> and got a significant amount of publicity, including in Wikip(m)edia
> outlets.
>
> I do not know how seriously Elsevier regard other people's copyright. I
> have been to Elsevier presentations where apparently third party copyright
> material has been shown, asked whether Elsevier had obtained permission and
> am yet to get a reply. If it happens to me I shall make it seriously
> public. I shall not divulge my subsequent strategy but I do not believe I
> will be powerless.
>

> > **
> >

> --
> Peter Murray-Rust
> Reader in Molecular Informatics
> Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry
> University of Cambridge
> CB2 1EW, UK
> +44-1223-763069

Data Wrangler with the Open Knowledge Foundation (OKFN.org)
GPG/PGP key: http://tentacleriot.eu/mihi.asc
Twitter: @mihi_tr Skype: mihi_tr