[okfn-discuss] Most "open" way of registering a domain/get a hosting?

Nils Toedtmann nils.toedtmann at okfn.org
Wed Jan 4 14:08:34 UTC 2012

On 01/04/2012 01:49 PM, Hanssens Bart wrote:
> Not sure if it is wat you are looking for, but maybe Gandi.net is worth considering.
>
> They support creative commons, the EFF  and some open source projects.
>
> http://www.gandi.net/supports/

At OKF we recently changed to Gandi.net as our domain registrar. One
reason was that they are very friendly to 'Open' projects. So far, our
experiences are good.

Your question about hosting is too unspecific. Recommendations would
depend on your needs: Are you looking for shared webhosting or virtual
machines or bare metal? Are you talking 1, 10 or 100 machines? Should
they be managed? Do you need a cloud API? How much performance is
needed? Is low cost more important than good support?

That said, some observations:

  * When it comes to bare metal, hetzner.de is very cheap, has a good
infrastructure and OKish support. Many OSS projects live there.
Unbeatable if you are willing to setup virtualisation hosts yourself.

  * RackSpace has very good support (compared to other hosters), and are
the main driver behind the OSS cloud project OpenStack.org

  * Gandi, known to be friendly to "open" projects, recently started to
offer hosting as well. I have no experience with that yet.

Hope that helps.

/nils.

See http://nils.toedtmann.net/ for contact details.