[okfn-discuss] (no subject)

William Waites ww at styx.org
Tue Jan 31 00:54:40 UTC 2012

On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 17:59:35 -0500, Danny Piccirillo said:

    > Hey everyone,  Today is the last day of the FSF's membership
    > drive-- and they have really been turning up their game
    > lately. If you appreciate free software, please join and help
    > meet the goal!

Seconded, please consider joining or donating to the FSF if you are
not already a member. Much of what the OKF does today would not have
been possible without the work of the FSF over the past 25 or so years
both in terms of development of practical systems and contributions to
the intellectual foundations that underpin the theoretical and
philosophical positions taken.

And the FSF remains relevant today, perhaps more than ever. Software
takes data in and puts data out. How we strike the balance between
protecting what data are ours and liberating what data ought to be
free is still an open question. However we find where that line is and
how best to treat it, free software must be part of the solution.

Without free software we cannot use or analyse or summarise open data
freely to tell us what we wish to know.

Without free software we cannot properly check where open data has
come from; provenance is important, and the steps in the provenance
chain must not be black boxes.

Without free software we cannot fix buggy data early on in its
lifecycle and thus prevent the bugs from multiplying.

Cheers,
-w
(FSF member #2021)