[okfn-discuss] OKFN Textbook Proposal

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Oct 10 20:42:05 UTC 2012

On Wed, Oct 10, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Aaron Dunn <aaron at musopen.org> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> My name is Aaron Dunn, I'm the founder of Musopen.org. We recently began
> work on an open textbook initiative called Chartus.org. We've built a
> very sophisticated open source collaborative textbook editor, and recently
> realized this work seems beyond what we focus on at Musopen.

I take this opportunity to congratulate Aaron and musopen.org. I have
downloaded a number of the tracks and play them very regularly. For those
who don't know musopen.org hosts specifically Public Domain music. When
people say "what sort of music do you listen to?" I reply "Public Domain".

> I'm looking to see if someone would be interested in helping me launch
> Chartus as an OKFN project, helping to grow a community of authors, locate
> developer resources to finish development, and otherwise help grow the
> initiative.
>
> Presumably Chartus can be used to create both Open and non-Open works?
[Nothing wrong with that]

> Questions or comments are welcome.

* *I am potentially interested in authoring a chemistry/informatics book in
collaborative mode. I would need to know a bit more about the software
platform - I need to be able to manage XML and also install domain-specific
editors (e.g. for chemical structures). We have these already, it's a
question of integration

BTW I discovered the Open Goldberg Variations (
http://www.opengoldbergvariations.org/) on musopen.org and the vision of
this project is stunning - the integration of score, rendering, music etc.
I'm no musician so this type of pedagogy is really valuable.

And Aaron, please thank all your contributors on musopen.org.  Are some of
them doing it on a regular basis? Or do you find recordings and persuade
people to licence as CCZero?

Peter Murray-Rust
Reader in Molecular Informatics
Unilever Centre, Dep. Of Chemistry