[okfn-discuss] OKFN & Environment Data

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Fri Oct 12 09:15:06 UTC 2012

(And again with David's correct address!)

Thanks for starting this conversation James! :-)

A while back we started a Working Group on Climate Data which is
currently 'incubating' (cc'ing Lisa Evans and David Jones who were
involved in this group).

If there was enough interest and someone who was willing to champion
the group, then we could activate it again!

http://wiki.okfn.org/Working_Groups/climatescience
http://okfn.org/wg/

For background information, here are a few links related to our
previous work in this area:

http://blog.okfn.org/2007/11/20/the-ipcc-data-distribution-centre-environmental-data-licensing/
http://blog.okfn.org/2009/12/05/climate-change-climate-sceptics-and-open-data/
http://blog.okfn.org/2010/01/28/clear-climate-code-and-data/
http://blog.okfn.org/2010/02/24/a-tour-of-climate-data-at-ckan/
http://wiki.okfn.org/Open_Environmental_Data
http://wiki.okfn.org/Open_Environmental_Data/Policy
http://lists.okfn.org/pipermail/open-science/2009-December/000133.html
http://thedatahub.org/group/climatedata

I think that if we were to have a climate WG it would be good to have
a few specific aims and objectives, e.g.:

  * Organising events/meetups - e.g. via
http://www.meetup.com/OpenKnowledgeFoundation/
  * Continuing to maintain the registry of climate data on CKAN -
http://thedatahub.org/group/climatedata
  * Policy/advocacy work to encourage open licensing of climate data
to key organisations and stakeholders. (Previous correspondence I had
with the IPCC indicated that they were very keen to see more
institutions change their licensing policies to be more open, but
didn't have the bandwidth to negotiate this with each data
contributor.)

J.

Jonathan Gray

Head of Community