[okfn-discuss] OKFN & Environment Data

James Smith james at floppy.org.uk
Fri Oct 12 10:34:50 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I think, given that the WG already went a bit quiet, it's best to focus on a small area that's specific to OKFN's interest.

There are other organisations doing some bits already. For instance, I'm organiser of Cleanweb UK (http://cleanweb.org.uk), which organises meetups and events in this sort of area, and acts as a cross-organisational community. That means that a WG wouldn't have to take that on, which keeps things simpler. Similarly, the ODI may be able to do some of the policy/advocacy work.

I guess I see OKFN's strengths as being in working with the actual data. There's lots that could be done here which could create solid results. As you mention, there is maintenance on the existing CKAN content, but we also have a lot of data that was recently opened by AMEE that could be adopted. Then there is the creation of an open standard for emissions reporting, which would help answer Rosling's 'Open Emissions Data Now' call. The Open Economics group also have some work ongoing in the area of open energy data.

Of course, (and this may be heresy on this list, but who knows) this doesn't *have* to happen within the OKFN. A separate (though friendly) organisation might be simpler.

cheers,
James