[okfn-discuss] Draft for 'Public copyright license'

Peter Murray-Rust pm286 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Sep 30 10:04:00 UTC 2012

On Sun, Sep 30, 2012 at 8:23 AM, Chris Sakkas <sanglorian at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> A few months ago I drafted the Libre page for Wikipedia<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libre>and folks at the OKFN and free culture discussion lists gave me some great
> feedback.
>
> I think this is a good overview. "Open Access" is extremely difficult
because Harnad/Suber propose "libre"  in a way that cannot be operationally
defined. Very simply most HS "libre" is not libre in the mainstream sense.
I personally feel that this is the destruction of a really useful term into
something that is at best politically fuzzy. Whatever happens to this page
it must make it clear that OA-libre is not de facto libre.

I've just written a draft entry for public copyright licenses and I'd
> appreciate your feedback. It's not much more than a stub at this stage—and
> I'm not sure that there's any need for it to be any more than that. I do
> think it's important to have *something *there, since we already have a
> category for public copyright licences. I'd love to hear your
> feedback—whether it's on these mailing lists, or on my talk page<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_talk:Sanglorian/sandbox>,
> or even just you editing the draft entry, which is on my sandbox<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Sanglorian/sandbox>
> .
>
> Looking forward to your suggestions,